|Liam T. O'Connell - Of Counsel |
60 Washington Street
Salem, MA 01970
Attorney Liam T. O'Connell is a former U.S. Coast Guard marine inspector with extensive background in regulatory and environmental compliance.On graduating from the Massachusetts Maritime Academy he received a U.S. Merchant Marine Third Mate’s license and a Commission as a USCG Ensign. As a USCG Marine Inspector, he served the maritime industry along the Houston Ship Channel in Texas.
After leaving Active Duty, Mr. O'Connell co-founded an international maritime consulting firm, which specialized in regulatory compliance, serving shipowners, marine terminals, the U.S. Government, and law firms. In federal court he has testified as an expert witness in USCG MARPOL investigations and has served as a court-appointed auditor and monitor for U.S. Department of Justice Environmental Compliance Programs.
Mr. O’Connell has sailed as a Deck Officer onboard T/S KENNEDY for the Massachusetts Maritime Academy’s annual training cruise and taught a continuing education course there entitled “Marine Pollution and Vessel Engineering Systems.” While attending law school he was a law clerk for the U.S. Department of Defense Institute of International Legal Studies and was activated by the USCG to serve as the first ever Mission Commander and Officer in Charge of a U.S. Navy anti-terrorism detachment at Submarine Base New London, CT. Following graduating from Suffolk Law School, Attorney O'Connell served in the USCG’s Reserve JAG Officer program and continues to be active in the Reserves.
Attorney O’Connell’s practice includes marine insurance and criminal defense with a focus on regulatory and environmental compliance, providing Farrell McAleer & Smith with added expertise in dealing with government authorities following a marine casualty.
- Admiralty and Maritime Law
- Insurance and Criminal Defense
- Oil Pollution and Environmental Law
- Regulatory Compliance and Cybersecurity
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Professional Affiliations & Bar Associations
- Suffolk University Law School, with Distinction in International Law, J.D., 2014
- Massachusetts Maritime Academy, B.S. Marine Transportation, 2005
- St. John’s Preparatory High School, 2001
Qualifications and Honors
- Connecticut Maritime Association
- Propeller Club of the United States, Port of Boston
- The Maritime Law Association of the United States
- ISO 14001 Lead Auditor Certification
- Various military awards
- Houston Federal Executive Committee Excellence in Government Award (2008)
- Military Officer magazine, “Active Duty Spotlight” as elite triathlete (June 2008)